Friday, May 11, 2007

Front Loadin' it

Our new front loading washer ROCKS! I have only used these types of washing machines at the laundromat, but never realized that they are actually better for the environment than the standard top loading washer. It uses about 60% less water to clean the clothes AND the spin cycle actually spins the clothes dry enough so that our dryer dries clothes in half the time!!
I am certain that MANY of you who have run into either Shawn or myself over the past week have heard the story already (especially if you ran into Shawn), but basically I killed our top loading washer with this rug from Indi's room:

I had contemplated shoving that big old rug in many a time before, but never went through with it until last Tuesday. I went to pull the rug out I realized that it was still dripping wet (cuz the motor had pooped out). After managing to untangle this 100lb wet monstrosity out of our now RIP top loader, I sensed there would be a need to talk to Shawn about maybe purchasing a new Washer.
The drama died down and I found several reviews online that raved about this front loading Kenmore. It was only a couple hundred more than its top loading counterpart and it turned out to be on sale $100 off, $60 free delivery on rebate and because it is so water efficient, the City of SD actually paid $175 towards the purchase!
Anyway, in the end it appears this was a "mistake" that was actually GOOD for our budget (albeit a long-term good).

3 comments:

daleth said...

Great purchase! Whatever effort we make to save energy or water is great.

Anonymous said...

Good buy..I've had a GE front loader for the past 8 years..love it. Top loader machines are unheard of in England!!

You go Lydia.....I love that you're going low energy!!

Lauren said...

Love the washer - just don't try to wash the rug in it!